Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Free music - No Big Deal

No Big Deal were a Christian rock group doing the rounds in the early '90s. I came across them when they performed at a school during the Metal Meltdown festival. They did an excellent set, rock tinged with a funky edge on some of the songs, which at the time reminded me a little of Extreme.

They released at least one EP called "You've Been Robbed" which I have on cassette, and as I've recently converted it to mp3s (using my trusty Audacity), I thought I'd post it up here for downloading. . . music this decent just deserves to be heard.

As with Phenomena EPs, these songs are not mine, and hopefully members of No Big Deal won't mind me posting these songs. I've tried to find out what happened to them after the festival but I've not been able to find any info about them on the internet. The only thing I've come across is this review from Cross Rhythms magazine :
If you'd been bold enough to step into the rock 'n' roll pubs of Southampton and Portsmouth over the last six months you'll have caught this tough, gritty foursome who play decidedly heavy rock managing to avoid both the predictability of some metal and the tired old blues ruffs of some heavy rock. In fact, this tape exudes a gutsy vitality I found completely invigorating while the lyrics speak the gospel truth with unembarrassed directness. Suffice it to say I liked 'You've Been Robbed1 and once they get a producer and a budget they'll surely be on to bigger things. In the meantime, get along to one of their gigs all you Hampshire rockers. - Tony Cummings

So I guess this post is a little hommage to an excellent Christian 90s rock band.

Here's the link to download the EP: http://www.everlightskeep.com/No_Big_Deal_-_-You've_Been_Robbed.zip

No comments: